KyivBack to announcements
Announcement for Media
On November 9 it will be held a press–conference "Selection of judges for the Constitutional Court: the main dangers of the competition", where the CPLR will present completed information on 6 candidates, one of whom will be appointed judge for the Constitutional Court on 13 November
On November 9, the Center for Policy and Legal Reform (CPLR) will hold a press–conference "Selection of judges for the Constitutional Court: the main dangers of the competition", where the CPLR will present completed information on 6 candidates, one of whom will be appointed judge for the Constitutional Court (CCU) on 13 November.
The following issues will also be discussed:
• The procedure for the competitive selection of judges of the Constitutional Court is not consistent with the relevant article of the Constitution, it does not allow to do the selection of judges of the CCU on a competitive basis
• Problems of selection of candidates for the CCU for the quota of the Verkhovna Rada: nomination of candidates by parliamentary factions, deputy groups and groups of non-factional deputies, and not by the candidates themselves
• The first appointment is to be held on November 13 on the quota of the Congress of Judges: 5 from 6 recommended candidates for the position of a judge of the CCU were not recommended following the results of a competition for the position of a judge for the Supreme Court
• Attempts by the authorities to conduct a formal selection of judges: neither the Law nor any of the subjects of appointment established criteria for assessing the two new constitutional requirements for candidates – high moral qualities and the recognized level of competence of a lawyer.
Journalists are warmly invited to attend.
What? Press-conference "Selection of judges for the Constitutional Court: the main dangers of the competition"
When? 9 November 2017, 11.30 – 12.20
Where? UNIAN News Agency, 4 Khreshchatyk Str, Kyiv
· Viktor Shyshkin, retired judge of the Constitutional Court
· Viktor Musiyaka, scientific consultant on legal issues of Razumkov Centre
· Ihor Koliushko, Board Head of the Centre of Policy and Legal Reform
· Bohdan Bondarenko, expert of the Centre of Policy and Legal Reform
Additional information and accreditation of journalists: Yarina Busol, tel: +38 095 153 2542, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The press-conference is organized by the Centre of Policy and Legal Reform (CPLR) with the support of the European Union (EU). The opinions expressed by the CPLR experts do not reflect the official position of the EU.