Reform in action
CPLR is an active organization. Over the years we have applied a number of different means in order to achieve our goal of meaningful political and legal reform. They have generally fallen into four categories:
1. Policy development and support of the policy cycle
- problem detection within democratic development;
- examination of the problems;
- analytical prediction;
- development of reform concept;
- drafting of law or other legal act;
- participation in state commissions on the draft of law;
- initiation of public campaign in support of implementing the policy by authorities;
- monitoring realization of the policy;
- examination of the outputs of law or other legal act.
2. Research work
- aiming at finding and theoretical argumentation of necessary changes;
- writing manuals, monographs, articles other publications;
- assisting in translation and publicizing of outstanding works of American and European Legal science;
- translation and publicizing foreign laws that could be useful in development of Ukrainian legislation;
- giving legal positions on requests of judges of Constitutional Court of Ukraine;
- preparing an expert opinions on requests of ministries, others authorities.
3. Educational work
- aiming at mobilization of stakeholders to solve a problem of democracy development or aiming at teaching specific target audience;
- holding conferences, seminars, roundtables on some issue;
- conducting press conferences; participation in TV programs on these problems;
- analytical essays for press;
- conducting trainings on specific applied questions (for example electronic document flow in public bodies, etc);
- preparing short practical manuals and spreading them between citizens about their rights in court, in relations with officials and so on.
4. Public monitoring
- monitoring the actions of authorities on compliance with Constitution and liabilities of European integration;
- monitoring court decisions;
- monitoring of development of public law;
- publication regular reports on the results of the monitoring;
- providing commentaries with legal assessment of political decisions for mass-media.