20 steps - 20 years
We are particularly proud of our achievements in the sphere of policy development. Here are some we consider as most outstanding
1. Participation in the creation of the final draft of the Concept of administrative reform in Ukraine. The concept was approved by the President of Ukraine in 1998.
2. Development of the draft Law “On local public administrations”. The law was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada in 1999.
3. Participation in the development of the Law “On the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine”. CPLR made efforts to promote the law as early as 1996. Eight times the law was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada but the President used the right of veto every time. Finally the law was passed by both the Verkhovna Rada and the President in 2008. Unfortunately in 2010 the law was essentially spoiled by amendments for merely political reasons.
4. Development in 2002 of the draft Law “On the central executive bodies” followed by a long advocacy for its adoption. It was adopted in 2011 but the law contained changes that decreased its possible positive effect.
5. Participation in advocacy campaign for Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada transparency (1998–2002). CPLR took a direct role in filling the web-site www.zakon.gov.ua with bills introduced in the Verkhovna Rada at a time when the information about the bills was not being made available on the Verkhovna Rada website.
6. Development of the Concept of the creation of the administrative courts system in Ukraine and participation in the Code of Administrative Justice preparing that was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada in 2005. The Code is introducing the system of administrative courts and administrative procedure.
7. Development of a draft Law “On access to judicial decisions” which was adopted in 2005 and which stipulated the creation of Unified State Register of courts’ decisions. The Law is introducing the unique in Europe free national portal of most decision of domestic courts open to the public.
8. Development of the Concept of judicial reform and the draft Law “On the judicial system and status of judges” (A version of the draft was adopted in 2010 but unfortunately it was so distorted that it had a negative impact at judicial system).
9. Preparation of the draft Law “On access to public information” in 2008 followed by a wide and successful advocacy campaign of NGOs and media until its adoption in 2011. The Law is introducing the rights and guarantees for citizens to request public information from public authorities.
10. Development of the Theory of administrative services and the preparation of the Concept of administrative services system reform (approved by the Government in 2006). Facilitating the creation of pilot Centers for Providing Administrative Services in several cities in Ukraine. Active participation in the preparation of the draft Law “On administrative services” which was adopted in 2012. The Law is starting the client-oriented approach in administrative services (granting licenses, permits, certificates) of the public authorities to inpiduals and companies.
11. Participation in drafting the Administrative Procedure Code which since 2008 is waiting for its approval. In 2012 the draft of the code was sent again to the Verkhovna Rada by decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
12. Development the policy papers necessary for reforming the institute of administrative responsibility and the draft Code of Administrative Offenses.
13. Participation in the development of Concept of administrative-territorial reform and necessary draft-laws.
14. Active participation in drafting the new Code of Criminal Procedure and the draft Law “On legal aid” adopted in 2012. The Code and the Law are replacing the soviet criminal procedure by the contemporary human-right-oriented approach to criminal investigation.
15. Preparation of Green and White Papers of Ukrainian constitutional reform.
16. Active participation in the improvement of legislation on freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of associations, including draft Laws “On public associations” (adopted in 2012) and on Peaceful Assemblies (is pending in Verkhovna Rada).
17. Participation in preparing and advocacy for the consideration and adoption by Verkhovna Rada of the Law of Ukraine “On prosecution office” of October 14, 2014. The introducing European standards of criminal prosecution and the status of attorney general as contrast to former soviet system of prokuratura.
18. Combatting with an unconstitutional Law ‘About All-Ukrainian referendum’, which was adopted in 2012. Development of a new draft Law ‘About All-Ukrainian referendum’, which has been pending in Verkhovna Rada.
19. Permanent working for intensification of combatting corruption in Ukraine. Especially participation in the development of anti-corruption legislation, realizing anti-corruption expertise of draft Laws and Laws.
20. Assistance in National police formation; participation in the preparation of the Law about National police from 2015, participation in shortlisting of service officers. Development of the Law ‘About State Bureau of Investigation’ and advocacy for its adoption (November 12, 2015). Participating in the implementation of its.